How to Create Perfect Flutters on the Poppy Pattern!
Posted by Natasha Chrismas on
It's Hanny from @iCutie. Today, I'm going to share with you some tips for getting perfect looking flutters on the Poppy dress. I'll show you a quick and easy way to ruffle as you go on the sewing machine, and also how to line the flutters up so they meet the bodice nicely when sewing the waist seam.
1. Give the flutters a good press before you start. To assist with hemming, I like to sew a line 1/4 inch from the straight edge of the flutter, use that line as a guide to fold the fabric over twice, for a nice even hem. Topstitch as close to the folded edge as possible.
2. Set the stitch length to the longest possible on your sewing machine, and sew a line of gathering stitches 1/4" from the curved edge of the flutter. There are many ways to gather, I like to hold the top thread on the sewing machine, and apply a little tension as the stitch is being sewn. This creates gathers whilst sewing! Play around with some scrap fabric first if you haven't done this before, as it takes a little practice getting the amount of tension you need to apply to get a nice ruffle.
3. Prepare the bodice and straps as per pattern's instructions. Mark 1/2" on both side of the bodice's bottom and straps to create 4 corners like so.
4. Place the ruffles in a way that the outer edge meet the corners you created previously. Baste in place. Don't worry about the overhang, you can trim later.
5. Follow the pattern's instructions to finish the bodice.
Enjoy sewing your Poppy Dress